WHAT IS PRP?
PRP, or platelet-rich plasma, is an innovative therapy with numerous applications. It uses the patient’s own blood to stimulate growth factors in the body, thereby repairing damaged tissues and reducing inflammation.
Plasma is a natural component in the blood that contains proteins or “factors” that promote blood clotting upon injury to the tissue in addition to delivering cytokines and growth factors to the site of injury to promote healing. PRP is produced through the isolation of plasma from the blood and concentrating it. Because the growth factors contained in plasma are so concentrated in PRP injections, they accelerate the healing process of the body.
At Elevate Personalized Medicine, we have seen much success in treating patients through the use of PRP, especially in cases with patients seeking safe, effective and natural alternative solutions including:
- Hair restoration: When injected into the scalp, PRP stimulates hair regrowth in both men and women experiencing androgenic hair loss – also known as “male pattern” baldness.
- P-Shot®: (Priapus shot) Injected into the areas of the penis most important to sexual arousal and erectile function, PRP P-shots can be used independently or as an adjunct treatment method to GAINSWave® to improve the strength and frequency of erections, penile sensitivity and for the treatment of Peyronie’s disease.
PRP Injection Benefits
Some of the benefits of PRP include:
- PRP helps stimulate new cell growth in the body at the site of injection, regardless of where that might be, to achieve more targeted treatment.
- PRP is a natural alternative to chemical fillers that contain foreign substances and toxins that may cause harmful side effects.
- Use of PRP poses little risk to the patient, as it uses only the patient’s own blood and adds no foreign substances or chemicals.
The PRP Process
The process of creating PRP injections is safe, simple and quick. First, our nurse will draw a sample of your blood. Next, blood will be placed into a centrifuge, which spins around very quickly and causes the components of the blood to separate. The process of separation requires about 15 minutes. Once complete, the separated plasma will then be prepared for injection into the treatment site. The entire process will generally require an appointment of one hour. Prior to injections of PRP, a topical numbing agent or local anesthetic will be applied to the injection site to reduce discomfort.
Generally, PRP will require no downtime, and patients can resume normal daily activity immediately. Due to the fact that PRP injections promote healing or growth, their effects may not be noticeable immediately following treatment. In several weeks or months, however, patients will be able to see that the treated area is healing faster or growing more hair.
Risk Versus Reward
As with any medical treatment, there is a risk of side effects with PRP, especially because PRP involves injecting a substance into the skin. However, because PRP contains substances that come directly from your own body, the risks for an allergic reaction associated with injections of medications is significantly reduced. Nevertheless, there are still certain risks associated with the PRP injection itself, including:
- Damage to the tissue
- Injuries to the nerves
- Pain or discomfort at the injection site
At Elevate Personalized Medicine, we encourage any patient considering PRP to schedule a consultation with us so that we can fully discuss your questions and concerns as well as whether you may, in fact, benefit from this method of treatment.
Call the team of health experts at Elevate Personalized Medicine to learn more about the benefits of PRP injections today.